1971 Dawes Galaxy

1971 Dawes Galaxy
Dawes Galaxy on train platform

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Vintage Dawes Galaxy restoration notes

I am beginning the restoration of a 1971 Dawes Galaxy. It was purchased from Turin Bicycle Co-op in Chicago, and I bought it from the son of the original owner. The Dawes Galaxy is well-known as a touring bicycle and was, it is said, hand-built. 1971 is, I believe, the first year they were made. They were the first "off-the-peg" tourer one could buy. Which would mean they were not custom fabricated for individual buyers, but were built by hand in production quantities. From what I have found out, the Dawes factory burned down at one point, and serial number registers and other information was lost. What is know is that Dawes still makes bicycles, and there is still a Dawes Galaxy in their lineup.


5 comments:

  1. I am in the process of restoring a 1971 Dawes Galaxy. Its been difficult to find much information about Dawes. The best information I have is from the son of the original owner, from which I bought the frameset.

    Currently the original parts I have are few. The frameset, with paint scratches and nicks to fit its age. A GB stem, and a Nervar steel cottered crankset. I know was purchased from the Clark Street location of Turin Bicycle Co-op in Chicago. It originally had a Brooks B5N saddle, and Simplex Prestige derailleurs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a Dawes Galaxy from about 1967 to 1969. It was bought new in 1967 from Paradise Bikes in Corte Madera, California. The bike was very similar to yours.
    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Dawes is now retired for the winter. I still have some issues to solve. With the plastic fenders I quickly installed there isn't quite enough clearance for the beefy Michelin World Tour tires, so any small stones the tires pick up scrape against the plastic. Also, the front derailleur needs adjustment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Dawes galaxy 10 speed I bought when I was a junior in high school for 75 dollars beautiful bike now I’m 52 I still have the bike it’s green and gold like your frame

    ReplyDelete