1971 Dawes Galaxy

1971 Dawes Galaxy
Dawes Galaxy on train platform

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The restoration progresses


It's been quite some time since I started this blog, and of course I have been very busy. Slowly, however, I have worked away at the Dawes Galaxy, even if I haven't had time to post about it. Now I intend to bring this blog up to date. The restoration was complete, or complete enough to ride, in the Fall of 2013. How I got to this point, and what is left to do, I will attempt to document.

I have learned a few things along the way. Mainly, that you have to consider the bicycle as a totality when restoring it. How will the pieces fit together? That seems obvious, but it isn't when the bicycle is this old. Not all parts are going to be pristine NOS stuff hoarded by classic bike shops just waiting for you to walk in their door. Techniques that once were common, like fitting cottered cranks are no longer widely known. The proper tires and rims will be more difficult to find than idealists at a political convention. But I am getting ahead of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment